To Claygate Lodge
Formed in 1963 as a 'daughter' of Sudbrook Lodge (founded 1947) by Orville Westlake and Royston Low, both residents of Claygate, it was intended to be a small, local lodge, open to all.
Tony Budd, also a Claygate resident was the first 'inititate.' Originally meeting at Esher Youth Centre and dining at The Bear, it subsquently relocated to Glenmore House (Surbiton Masonic Centre) where it continues to meet to this day.
The Lodge Banner and emblem depict the Semaphore Tower situated on the Telegraph Hill, which is a local Claygate landmark and was part of a military communication link between London and Portsmouth originally built in 1822.
Glenmore House, Surbiton